The Weak and the Strong

You know how you hear things and they stick and you aren’t sure where they came from but they ring true over and over again?

And then you repeat them to friends and husbands and they become as much a part of your own DNA as your natural hair color.

And they fall out of your mouth because they are true. They are true because you have seen them be true and watched them work in the real world.

You can’t help but love a broken and humble person.

Over and over again I say this. Over and over again I see this work. Humility and brokenness is one of the only things on earth that can elicit such extreme compassion and supreme love from others.  There is something about brokenness that draws the empathy from even a hard heart and something about humility that so very attractive.

If you are a normal, non-serial killer type, humility will tug at your deepest of heart strings. This is how the real world works.

However, lately where it does not work is online.

Humble writers, broken and open people have been posting things online that have been laced with grace and worked through with love. And these humble broken people have been attacked for what they have said. Even the most gracious of posts have been blasted by others.

Its strange when you see the world turn upside down like that.

When one “law” of living that you know to be true is roughly and rudely unworked and what you know to be right and good {that humility is a good thing} is proven to be a weak thing, it makes me wonder more and more about the validity of online banter.

I guess I have faith that the weak things of this world will shame the strong someday.

Let us be kind and gentle and grace-givers to one another. Let us have hearts full of understanding and let us be love with hands and feet — even to those who we can’t see and touch in the flesh.

Comments

So beautifully identified.
    And may we all learn to keep walking in humility, even when it is not accepted.
    Because that it what He calls us to, and in the end, it is all for Him anyway.

Lovely post Sarah. I never think of what’s beyond the publish button. I write for Him. I write knowing that He will send my words to the heart that needs to read them. The critics/enemies words don’t matter. You are so right when you say…”the weak things of this world will shame the strong someday.”

Bless you!

Thanks for articulating this. I’ve been extremely confused and saddened by all the back-and-forth about everything from Driscoll to whether or not we should or shouldn’t be able to respond to hot button topics, etc. I think you hit the nail on the head though by saying that online life is different than in-person life and those rules are VASTLY different…and discouraging to boot. The only thing we can do is what you suggest: hearts full of understanding and love. What else is there?

I think it takes tremendous courage to speak with humility out of our brokenness. I agree that it is so disheartening when someone is attacked for taking such a risk. However, I am afraid I am seeing this trend IRL as well. At least in my neck of the woods. I think we need a revolution of love, respect, compassion and decorum. Our culture is so upside-down, but I know God can do great things even through a few people who are willing to obey Him.
    Great post! You speak for many, who feel the same way.

Thanks for living in courage and speaking truth in honesty and love. What you share in this post — well, it’s why I’ve stopped writing. And I feel so lost when I am not writing. Your words today spur me on. And in turn, I encourage you to continue what the Lord has begun. Your transparency and loving honesty has had a tremendous impact on my walk with God for years. Don’t stop. And even though we’ve never met IRL, I love you and pray for you often. Maybe our physical worlds will collide one day! :)

6. Ro elliott says

I think some of my thinking is because of my age…I see much good from social media…but of so much danger…too many to name here…but with texting….tweeting…fb.and blogging…screens have a tendency to dehumanized a soul. People will text…comment things they would never say face to face. The human voice…seeing someone’s eyes slaps us back to reality…this person made in the image of of God is real…with feelings like like me. My kids grew up quoting thumpers mom….if you don’t have something good to say,don’t say nothin at all. Now I think we need to stop and say…if I could not look this person straight into their eyes and say this….the it should not be said. I love your heart……thanks for speaking to this very important topic…..blessings

Yes, I have noticed it and I’ve been on the attacked end of it many times. I went through a major spiritual crisis after leaving a cult and had to re-examine all my beliefs, which involved questioning everything about the Bible and the nature of God. I was dropped like a hot potato by many. Apparently, I didn’t ask the ‘right’ or ‘appropriate’ questions. I was marked and cast away. It was one of the most painful experiences of my life. Thankfully, God knew the whole journey ahead of me and he paved a fresh path for me to make new friends who graciously walked through my healing with me and God opened new doors for me to minister in another ‘mission field’.

Thank you- for this grounding in reality (an invisible reality that is more real and true than what we see.) May we continue to offer love and grace with the humility of which you write.

loved reading this and I so agree with you.. the online world can be full of love somedays, and so full of hurt and insensitivity on others. I wish more ppl would understand there are real ppl beyond the words. xo

I feel for you. I was reading Psalm 12 this morning and it reveals just how sharp the deceiver’s teeth. When people attack others then it makes them feel better – a lie to Self. In the computer world we can be whoever and whatever we want to be and say at will what we think. In most cases it is helpful and encouraging, but on the other hand it can be down right hurtful. Since we are the side of TRUTH let Him ring it in pure song and surround us with His faithfulness. They may mask their words in lies, but we lean on the Him who holds perfect words reassuring us that nothing surprises Him. If He uses these hurtful words to make us grow or correct us in some way then we can say with confidence, “All things work together for good…”

I couldn’t help but think of that country song of a few decades ago: “Lord, it’s hard to be humble when you are the best.” I find that even writing about humility seems to go contrary to the essence of humility. Observing human behavior for six decades, it seems that often humility even in church takes a back seat to the louder, attack mode of others. Outwardly the humble will often be trampled under everything else. But underneath it all, humility touches areas of life that nothing else can.

I think part of the difficulty with those who are truly humble (not just in public persona) is that they also have tender hearts. That makes them wonderful vessels for God to work to reach the outcasts. But that also causes them to take attacks more personally (at least in my case), and therefore be hurt. However, in the long run, I have discovered that the vulnerability that accompanies humility opens many doors for ministry to people on the fringe. And with (considerable, read, decades) time I have learned to listen to attacks to see if there is any truth in what is said; but I filter them out from any kind of self-evaluation destructive thoughts.

As always, Sarah, excellent topic and words. Thank you and bless you.

“A gentle answer turns away wrath.” Proverbs 15:1
    “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good!” Romans 12:21
    “In this world you will have trouble, but be of good cheer! I have overcome the world!” John 16:33

May your faith in truth be richly rewarded, Sarah!