How To Make Time Slow Down

bluegold3

We’re getting up later these days. Six-thirty doesn’t seem late when the light begins seeping through the shades a full half an hour before that.

He swings his feet out of bed and heads for the shower. He takes his phone in there with him and streams NPR while he gets ready.

That evening I suggest to him, “Maybe if you didn’t listen to news in the morning, your mind would be clearer and you might not feel so, well, crazy and rushed.”

Normally he takes a suggestion like mine and sweeps it away in the wild-wife-talk file to never think about again. Because, what do I know? But he cocks his head to the side and says, “Maybe you’re right.”

bluegold4

The next morning when he takes a shower, I am still asleep. But I wake up to the sounds of violins coming from our shared bathroom. He’s decided to listen to classical music during his morning routine.

When he comes out of the shower, toweling off his head he smiles at me. “I took your advice.”

He’s made room in his mind to think about the day, to prepare himself for what is coming up and to just breathe. Just like anything from fish to our own skin, our minds need room to breathe.

This afternoon I walk to the backyard with intention. I leave my phone, my audio book, my magazine, books, catalogs, even my music inside.

bluegold1

And I lie down and close my eyes.

It takes discipline because I am not tired and I do not want to sleep. I want to give my mind room to breathe.

When is the last time I counted the planes flying over head? We live in the flight path and they fly north to south by me. From our north fence to the top of the house, I trace the paths as the jets go by.

And then the fall happens: I forget I’m lying down and my heart and soul begin to wander in the sweetest of ways. I think of board games and plane trips to San Francisco and why my dog itches the back of her head with her back paw. I think of my oldest daughter and the woman that she is and my little person and her grin.

It is so quiet.

bluegold2

I lament the lack of summer green where I live, but then I think that we have the most blues and golds you would ever want to see. California really is golden sometimes, I think.

And there are birds and an occasional car in the front but for the most part there is quiet. The girls are inside quietly playing or watching television or drawing and I’m well, meditating I guess. I’m not praying but I’m not not praying either and instead of the constant news and words floating through my head, there is music.

I watch the outdoor clock and I want so badly to make it to 45 minutes. I am not sure why, but for some reason 45 seems like a good stopping point. It’s 3:33 and the clock isn’t moving. Not one little bit.

I open my eyes again and it’s still 3:33 and then it all floods me and I get it.

They say that when our children are small the days are long but the years are short. It means that time moves oh so very quickly but it doesn’t feel like it in the moment. But I think that it does feel like it in the moment. Each day seems like it speeds downhill from breakfast to bedtime with television shows and dance and books and scooter rides in between. And it all seems so fast.

But outside, it didn’t. Outside it was slow because I was watching. I was paying attention.

The only way to make life slow down is to watch life carefully and the only way to watch is to give your mind room to breathe.

And at 3:45 I pick myself up and write this post because I don’t know what else to do with what I’ve been thinking about. I want to make it slow and I can, I think. I really can.bluegold6

When we put down all the stuff that clogs our minds and stops up our brains, we let ourselves breathe a bit. We let our hearts do what they did when we were kids on road trips: we look out the window and dream, we breathe in and let the wandering air fill our lungs.

And then life moves oh so slowly.

Comments

I have been hearing about slowing down from so many different sources lately. I am thinking I should listen up:). Thanks for writing about your time today & encouraging me to go outside & pay attention.

Oh, I want to do this today. This might be a good thing to do with my kids. They are so used to go-go all the time. I think that stillness is something we forget about but important thing to learn.

3. Mark Allman says

At times we spend so little time just thinking. We spend our life reacting instead of acting. To act we must spend time thinking. To think we have to be deliberate and do like you did and take time to move out of the chaos.

I have specified few great which are hundred percent free
    to use and dedicated to latest Pakistan and Indian fashion,
    daily updated fashion and you can also buy online via paypal and western union. The manufacture of most textiles is an energy intensive process, this combined with
    the transport of textiles of products around
    the world produces even more green house gas emissions.
    Finding the very best, proper and fairly as well
    as measurement prom dress may possibly appear
    like a daunting job.

I should even be able to show you just why it truly is very important to keep firm water ranges for this sort of develop and
    how the sources develop in this kind of program.

Also, when you haven’t gotten it previously, you could find it beneficial
    to get my marijuana record that is rising that is free by getting a free
    downloadable copy of my growing manual at this post’s end and enrolling.

Needless to say, I always advocate acquiring elite marijuana that is increasing
    aswell should you really want to take your expand to another level.
    Oahu is the same manual I personally use along with a
    lot of the methods I learned come straight from it. I use 5 gallons of water everytime I clear,
    and I clean every week or 2 (more frequently whilst the expand advances).
    The way to germinate remains the old fashion technique, between towels.

Superb site you have here but I was curious about if you knew of
    any message boards that cover the same topics talked about
    in this article? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get comments from other experienced people that share
    the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please
    let me know. Kudos!

Hello, I think your site might be having browser compatibility
    issues. When I look at your blog in Opera, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.

I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, terrific blog!

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you actually recognize what you’re talking about!
    Bookmarked. Please also discuss with my website =).
    We could have a hyperlink exchange contract among us

If this all sounds too good to be true, here is some more information about smartphone applications for home alarm systems.
    Let’s take a look at some of the best accessories you can use for your smartphone over
    the frigid and unwelcoming winter season. Batteries already
    went through a a transformation at the same time.

This means that they do not deposit money toward the defendant for referring business,
    take bribes, give you an attorney or negotiate bail bonds
    before a crime has taken place. For all these needs, the local locksmiths
    are sought after. They said that it is difficult to contact the right person at
    time of any trouble, which delays the repairing or service of the vehicle.
    Another beneficial way of getting affordable moving quotes is to shop around broadly.

If there is an elevator in the building, let the property management know in advance that you and the movers will be using it during
    the move; this keeps everyone happy. Wonderland miami is not only for fast movers, they have also cabaret dancer for young hearts,
    that provide a full of entertainment who prefer this nightly entertainment and style of music because this is a great location to check out the latest DJs and hit tracks as well as there is ample room for socializing and mingling with other customer and dance-floor can get quite congested.
    These are the moving safety that people should keep in mind and
    follow to avoid injuries and damage. Many people in Cheshire feel retirement planning is a
    challenging and complex task and there are various tools required to plan ideally.
    Ice lets water permeate through the roof which damages the walls too.
    Both Tokyo and Mumbai are multi-religious with different religions practiced within these cities.

Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this site.

It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s
    challenging to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and appearance.
    I must say that you’ve done a excellent job with this. Also, the blog loads super quick for me on Opera.
    Superb Blog!

I was suggested this blog by means of my cousin. I’m now
    not sure whether or not this put up is written by way of
    him as nobody else realize such targeted about my trouble.

You’re incredible! Thanks!

All of this fun, in addition to being able to create
    your own team, you might even be able to create enough
    of a ruckus that your favorite teams’ managers may actually start paying attention to what you have to say.
    Seen in another way, making a team into a high performing one is very
    much akin to the ingredients that go into a successful and happy marriage.
    For the program to run correctly, the digitized design must be stitched on the
    material that it was designed to be used on.

The international universities walking project: employee step counts, sitting times and health status.
    Educating children on the importance of proper hygiene to prevent germs and
    infections from attacking the body will reduce the number of sick children in your classroom this flu season. There is no need to proceed
    for formulated supplements because artichoke extract tablets
    are available.

For these goals to manifest into reality the
    base of good health must be built up throughout life,
    not just to try to repair the damage after it’s been done.
    Due to its antibacterial effects, this classification of honey works primarily in promoting rapid wound healing process as well
    as deodorizing and debridement of necrotic tissues. Relax, Revive, Revitalize And
    Rejuvenate” These getaways or vacation spots provide a sense of enjoyment and lasting rejuvenation to the visitors.

YouEUR(TM)re craving for a developer, any developer; understands that websites are a part of
    the web. Blogging is now becoming more popular than ever before, and you should take full advantage of it.
    Secondly, the founder himself, Sunny, will help you daily if you contact him.

Perhaps the word which sums up the importance of clash of clans
    hack to politics will be ‘participation’. It is wise to put off the use of the Five-hundred gems in order to attain an extra builder hut.
    “Principal Van – Der Jagt of Ogden International School failed to report more than one case of severe bullying,” the petition says.